Gia Tomadze MD, FACS
Gia Tomadze - The credo of life
A surgeon who knows how to operate is good. A surgeon who knows when to operate is better. A surgeon who knows when not to operate is best.
Center of Traumatology and Emergency Surgery
9 Tsinandali str., 0166. Tbilisi, Georgia
Make an Appointment
Need a doctor’s consultation?
Submit your information below and please wait for a response.
Mon.-Fri. – 10:00 – 17:00
Date of birth: August 19, 1955
Specialization: General (Abdominal) Surgery
- Professor of General Surgery.
- Academician of the Georgian Academy of Medical Sciences.
- President, Georgian Surgical Association
- Head, Transplantology Department, High Tech Medical Center
- President, Georgian Association of Transplantologists.
- Professor, Surgery Department #2, Tbilisi State Medical University.
Place of Work:
- Surgery Direction N 2, Tbilisi State Medical University.
- Center of Emergency Surgery and Traumatology, Ltd.
Field of activity: General Surgery, Abdominal Surgery, Laparoscopic Surgery, Bariatric Surgery.
Medical experience: since 1982
- 1972-1978 – Medical University, Tbilisi, Georgia. Excellent Diploma;
- 1979-1983 – Center of Surgery, Moscow, Russia. Ph.D. Degree “Occlusion of Pancreatic Ducts” (Experimental Study). The dissertation was defended in Moscow Surgical Center, Russia, 1983;
- 1988-1989 – Department of Surgery of The University of Minnesota, USA. D. Med. Sc. Degree: “Combine Pancreas-Kidney Transplantation in the Treatment of Complicated Diabetes Mellitus”. An experimental and clinical study. The dissertation was defended in Tbilisi State Medical University, Georgia, 1993.
- 2010 – Present – Centre of Emergency Surgery and Traumatology, LTD Clinical Director of General Surgery Clinic;
- 2009- Present – Tbilisi State Medical University Full Professor, Surgery Direction #2;
- November 29, 2010 – February 28, 2011, CONCEIL SANTE S.A., a French limited company (Entrusted by Georgia Health and Social Projects Implementation Center), financed by The World Bank. Expert;
- 2009 – 2010 – General Surgery Clinic, LTD Director;
- 2009 – Present United States Embassy in Tbilisi Medical Advisor;
- 2002 – 2009 – Centre of Emergency Surgery and Traumatology of the Georgian Academy of Medical Sciences Deputy Director;
- 2000 – Present – Ministry of Health Head of Transplant Council;
- 1997 – Present – Georgian Association of Transplantologists President;
- 1997 – 2005 – Ministry of Health Chief Surgeon;
- 1997 – 2002 – Endocrine Clinic, City Hospital #1 Head, Department of Endocrine Surgery;
- 1996 – 2009 – General Surgery Clinic, LTD Deputy Director;
- 1996 – 2002 – Surgery Department, Tbilisi State Medical University Professor;
- 1994 – 1995 – Surgery Department, Tbilisi State Medical University Associate Professor;
- 1994 – 1996 – ACTS Georgia (Affiliation of USA humanitarian aid NGO) Head, Physicians Professional Development;
- 1993 – 1994 – ACTS Georgia (Affiliation of USA humanitarian aid NGO) East Georgia General Coordinator;
- 1992 – 1994 – Disaster and Emergency Medical Centre, Georgia Consultant in surgery;
- 1990 – 1994 – The Institute of Clinical and Experimental Surgery, Georgia Senior Research Associate;
- 1984 – 1993 – Surgery Department, Tbilisi State Medical University Assistant Professor;
- 1982 – 1984 – Emergency Hospital N 20, Moscow, Russia Staff Surgeon.
- 2001 – In General Surgery. Issued by the Ministry of Health of Georgia on April 23, 2001. # 05510;
- 2001 – In Public Health and Health Care Organization”. Issued by the Ministry of Health of Georgia on August 30, 2001. # 007737;
- 2010 – In Surgical Oncology. The decision of Professional Development Board of the Ministry of Health of Georgia (N8, August 29, 2010);
- 2010 – In Endocrine Surgery. The decision of Professional Development Board of the Ministry of Health of Georgia (N8, August 29, 2010);
- 2010 – In Transplantology. The decision of Professional Development Board of the Ministry of Health of Georgia (N8, August 29, 2010);
- 2010 – In Laparoscopic Surgery. The decision of the Professional Development Board of the Ministry of Health of Georgia (2010).
- 2013 April 1-5: 1st Scientific and Training Workshop in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery organized by International Centre of Endo-Surgery. Tbilisi, 2013, April 1-5;
- 2012, Nov.26-27: 2nd CME Postgraduate Courses “Basic of Liver Transplantation from Living Donor”. Florence Nightingale, Istanbul, Turkey;
- 2011, Sept.4-11: Visiting Professor, Liver Transplantation Department, KENT Hospital, Izmir, Turkey;
- 2007, June 5-July 5: Visiting Professor, Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland;
- 1995, April-May: Visiting physician, University of Missouri Health Sciences Centre, Columbia, Missouri, USA;
- 1991, March-April: Visiting physician, East Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, East Virginia, USA.
GCP (Good Clinical Practice) Trainings:
- July 19, 2014 Site Management Organisation Pharmina, Tbilisi, Georgia;
- August 10, 2011, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK;
- September 27, 2009, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK.
Membership of Professional Associations:
- 2017 – present: President of the Georgian Association of Surgeons;
- 2008 – present: Member, The International Association of Lions Club in Tbilisi;
- 2005 – 2014: Past-President, Georgian Section of International College of Surgeons;
- 2000-2005: Board member, Georgian National Committee of Bioethics;
- Since 1998: Board member, Georgian Surgical Association;
- Since 1997: President, Georgian Association of Transplantologists;
- 1995- 2009: Board member, Georgian Medical Association.
Out of Georgia:
- 2008 – present: Member, The Transplantation Society;
- 2008 – present: Member, The International Association of Lions Club;
- From 2007 till 2008: Member, Federation Council of the European Federation of ICS;
- From 2007 till 2008: Assistant, Federation Secretary of ICS;
- 2006-2008: Governor, International College of Surgeons;
- 2001 – 2007: Expert, Committee of Experts on the Organizational Aspects of Cooperation in Organ Transplantation (SP-CTO), Council of Europe;
- 2008 et present: Observer, CD-P-TO, EDQM, Council of Europe;
- Since 1998: Fellow of the International College of Surgeons;
- Since 1997: Member, New York Academy of Sciences;
- Since 1997: Member, European Society of Surgery;
- Since 1997 et present: National Key Member, European Transplant Coordinators Organization (ETCO).
Committees and Boards:
- Member of National Scientific Committee of the XXXVI Biennial World Congress of the International College of Surgeons, December 3-6, 2008, Vienna, Austria;
- Member of Scientific Committee of the 13th Annual Conference of European Society of Surgery. November 26-28, Tbilisi, Georgia;
- Since 2009: BOARD OF TRANSPLANT COORDINATION, DIVISION OF TRANSPLANTATION, SECTION OF SURGERY, U.E.M.S.;
- National Key Member in the Board of European Journal „ORGANS, TISSUES & CELLS“.
- Author of 145 scientific publications.
Participation in International Clinical Trials:
- 2014 – present Principal Investigator of Dalbavancin (BUR001-303) trial in the Center of Emergency Surgery and Traumatology of City Hospital #1. Sponsor – Durata Therapeutics International B.V., Amsterdam, Netherlands;
- 2014-present Principal Investigator of HALT-IT (Haemorrhage alleviation with tranexamic acid – intestinal system) trial in General Surgery Clinic of City Hospital #1 organized by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK;
- 2012-present Principal Investigator of CRASH3 (Tranexamic acid for the treatment of significant barain injury) trial in General Surgery Clinic of City Hospital #1 organized by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK;
- 2005-2009 Principal Investigator of CRASH2 (Tranexamic acid for the treatment of trauma patients) trial in General Surgery Clinic of City Hospital #1 organized by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, London, UK.
- 1993 – Medal from the President of Georgia for the participation in the straggles for defending Georgia territorial integrity in Abkhazia as a military surgeon.
- 2000 – Medal from Tbilisi Surgical Society for the contribution to the development of surgery in Georgia.
- 2012 – The Order of Honour N 251, by decree N 14/07/01 of July 14, 2012, of the President of Georgia. Certificate N 05623.
Georgian – Native
Russian – Fluent
English – Fluent